DO YOU WANT TO WRITE FOR US?
Wonderful! We're always accepting submissions.
If you are a practicing herbalist, certified aromatherapist, registered aromatherapist, botanist, or qualified holistic healthcare professional who works with plants, you are eligible to write for our magazine.
STEP ONE: PLAN
Take a look at our submissions schedule. Is there an issue that appeals to you and that will work within the timeline you have available for writing? Choose an issue you'd like to write for, brainstorm a couple of topic ideas, and then send us an email to let us know you plan to submit an article for that issue. If you don't email us to give us a 'heads up,' we might not have a slot available for you in the issue you've chosen by the time you contact us, so it's always best to write to us ahead of time.
STEP TWO: WRITE
When you sit down to write your article, keep in mind that our audience is mainly comprised of practicing healthcare professionals and students of herbalism and aromatherapy. You'll want to write in a conversational, professional tone, as if you are presenting to a group of knowledgeable colleagues at a conference.
Things to know
- Your article can be anywhere between 500 - 2,000 words in length and must be submitted in American English.
- Accepted article formats are Word .doc files, Google .doc files, and .txt files.
- Prior to submitting your article, it's a good idea to have a friend or colleague proofread and fact check it for you. (All data must be fact-checked.) Please make all grammar, spelling, and punctuation corrections prior to submission.
- When mentioning an herb or plant, capitalize the first letter of the name (i.e. Lavender or Clary Sage), but not the plant part (i.e. Lemon Balm leaves).
- All references must be cited via numbered notations within the article and a full list of numbered references at the end of the article. (Place citation numbers outside punctuation.)
- Articles that would promote the sale of products derived from endangered species will not be published.
- Please only submit articles that have not been previously published elsewhere, including your own website.
- Please only use 1 space between the period that ends a sentence and the first letter of the next sentence.
do not include
- brand names or trademarks in relation to essential oils
- the phrase "therapeutic grade" in reference to essential oils
- recommendations for ingestion of essential oils unless you have been professionally trained in aromatic medicine
- the words "to treat" or "treatment" unless your scope of practice allows such terminology
- hyperlinks, website text, or references to websites other than your own
- lengthy references to mythology
- sales pitches for your own product or service
- articles about detoxification or articles containing the term "detoxify" or "detoxification," except in herbal profiles when referencing an herb with that specific action
STEP THREE: SUBMIT YOUR ARTICLE
Once you've finished your article, have had it proofread and fact-checked, and have corrected any errors, you are ready to submit your article! To make your submission, please email the article to email@example.com with the following items:
- a brief professional bio (20-100 words max)
- a professional quality headshot (300dpi) + photographer credit/website (Please make sure you have the photographer's permission to use the photo.)
- your contact information (web address, email address, relevant social media links, etc. - however you'd like readers to be able to find you)
- a 1/4 page ad, sized at 5" tall and 3.5" wide at 300dpi; pdf or jpg format accepted
NOTE: When you are ready to submit your article, please send everything in the checklist above in one email with the article. Do not send separate emails with the different items from the checklist.
Once you have submitted your article, please wait to submit it elsewhere until you hear back from us. We respond to all submission requests within 10 business days. Once we have notified you that we have accepted your article for publication, please do not publish or submit it for publication elsewhere. We reserve the first right to publish. If you wish to also use the article on your own website, you may do so 6 months after the magazine issue in which it is being published is released.
Please include the following statement with the article if you choose to publish it on your own website: "This article was originally published in the [insert Month/Year] issue of AromaCulture Magazine (www.aromaculture.com) and has been adapted for use here with permission from the publisher."
*Note: Articles that are submitted must go through a review process and are not guaranteed to be published.
HOW ARE OUR AUTHORS COMPENSATED?
Each author whose article is accepted for publication will receive the following in exchange for their article:
- a complimentary 1/4 page ad in the issue in which your article appears ($250 value)
- a complimentary digital copy of the issue in which your article is published
- an interactive author feature space that includes your bio, photograph and clickable contact information so our readers can find you directly from your article
- Photos submitted with your article are not guaranteed to be included with your article in the magazine. If you do choose to submit photos, they must be your own, taken by you, and you must let us know in writing that you took the photos yourself and consent to have them included in the publication with your article. There is no guarantee that we will include them with your article, but you are welcome to submit them for consideration. Photos taken in natural, diffused light are more likely to be included than photos taken in harsh, bright, mid-day sun or artificial lighting.
- Please do not submit your article to other publications until 3+ years after it has been published in our magazine. If an article published in our magazine is going to be published elsewhere after this 3 year period, please include the following statement in the article: "This article was originally published in the [insert Month/Year] issue of AromaCulture Magazine (www.aromaculture.com) and has been adapted for use here with permission from the publisher." We would also appreciate it if you would send us an email to let us know that you will be published elsewhere so we can share your work. =)
for professionals, book authors & brands:
If you have a book, product or service you would like us to consider featuring in the magazine, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For advertising information, click here.
We reserve the right to update or change these guidelines at any time without notice.
Artwork on this page is copyright 2017 Erin Stewart and may not be used elsewhere
without prior written permission from the artist.