Using a calming body butter is one of the most soothing parts of my bedtime routine. Applying it to the arms and decolletage as I'm getting ready for bed helps me to relax and take a few minutes to breathe deeply. The essential oils in this butter are so wonderful for supporting restful sleep and I've made this particular recipe with kid friendly essential oils for you so the whole family can benefit from it!
To make your butter, you will need:
- 1 ounce organic Beeswax
- 1 ounce organic Cocoa Butter
- 2 ounces organic Lavender infused Olive oil (infuse Lavender buds in olive oil for 4-6 weeks, shaking every day, then strain the buds out)
- 2 ounces organic Chamomile infused Jojoba (or whatever carrier oil you choose for your infusion)
- 1 ounce organic Avocado oil
- organic Lavender essential oil
- organic Cedarwood essential oil (Cedrus atlantica or Juniperus virginiana)
- organic Roman Chamomile essential oil
- a double boiler (I like to use a glass Pyrex measuring cup with a saucepan.)
- a glass stirring rod
- 3 2-ounce jars and 1 1-ounce jar OR7 1-ounce jars.
Melt your Beeswax in a double boiler over low heat. Once it's melted, add the Cocoa Butter and stir occasionally until it's melted.
Tip: Always start with sterilizing your jars by boiling them in water.
Add the Avocado oil and the Lavender and Chamomile infused oils to the mix and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Remove from the heat.
Time to add the essential oils! If you're making this for children, use a 1% dilution. For older teens and adults, you can use a 2% dilution.
- 35 drops of Lavender (angustifolia) for adults | 18 drops for children
- 18 drops of Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica or Juniperus virginiana) for adults | 9 drops for children
- 17 drops of Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) for adults | 8 drops for children
Stir the essential oils in well, then pour the mixture into your jars. Place the lids on the jars (you don't have to screw them on tightly yet) and leave the jars to cool. Once they've completely set up, you can add your label to the jar, secure the lid, and place them on the nightstand.
Tip: If you want to make this butter for both children and adults at the same time, make the recipe according to the 1% dilution for children first. Pour a 1 ounce jar of it, mark it as the child-friendly one, then add the following essential oils to the remaining 6 ounces of the recipe: 12 drops Lavender, 7 drops Cedarwood, 6 drops Roman Chamomile. Pour this mix into the 2 ounce jars and mark them as the adult version of the butter. This way you only have to make the recipe once and still keep the safe dilutions for everyone!
This butter really works wonders for me at night time. I've always been a bit of a night owl and my mind seems to wake up with creativity in the late evenings, so it can be difficult to calm it down before bed so I can sleep well. This combination of essential oils and herbal infused oils does the trick! It forces me to be intentional about relaxing and breathing deeply before going to bed. I consider it a great, mindful self-care ritual. I hope you'll give this recipe a try. =) Enjoy!
For educational purposes only. All photos and graphics are copyright Erin Stewart. May not be distributed, copied, or published without express prior written permission from me.